One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
nounPlural gensmass nounBritish
Information.‘you've got more gen on him than we have’
facts, figures, statistics, details, particulars, specifics, featuresView synonyms
- ‘She gave me all the gen on the allotment and we agreed a time and a day to meet up there.’
- ‘What we really want is the gen on his battle with Mrs T, and in a thriller-esque account of the Westland affair, we get it.’
- ‘You've got more gen on him than we have.’
- ‘There's no point calling up Dell yet - tech support staff haven't been fully briefed on the machine yet - but here's the gen, as our sources tell us.’
- ‘Amir has the gen on what's happening in Iranian politics at the moment.’
- ‘Here's the full gen from the company: "About the size of a grain of rice, each product contains a unique verification number that is captured by briefly passing a proprietary scanner over the chip."’
- ‘He often has the inside gen on cool stuff happening online and in London.’
- ‘Oliver Mann gives the gen on the coolest new destinations for the switched-on global traveller in 2005’
- ‘For more information and pricing details please call Mojo for the latest gen.’
- ‘The 'Hurricane' described by the idiot who gave us the false 'gen' was, of course, the Hawker Typhoon.’
Second World War (originally used in the armed services): perhaps from the first syllable of general information.
- ‘the next gen of consoles’short for generation‘third-gen data protocols’
- ‘Many years ago I received a first-gen iPod shuffle as a gift.’
- ‘RSS readers are not that social, even with so-called "next gen" newsreaders that recommend sites based on what you already read.’
- ‘Enhanced offerings will include Internet broadband access, media, IPTV, online gaming, and messaging, as well as next-gen services.’
- ‘I hope both Sony and MS reveal at least some news about the next gen of consoles.’
- ‘If Mathew's parents were both born here, doesn't that make his grandparents first gen, and him third gen?’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.