One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1mass noun A long period.‘see you before long’‘it will not be for long’
soon, shortly, presently, in the near future, in a short time, in a little while, in a minute, in a momentView synonyms
- ‘He insisted that he had problems adapting to society after spending so long behind bars.’
- ‘Then discuss it, but not for long, because this is a technique actors use to delay standing up and doing it.’
- ‘Before long the story spread throughout the city of the crazy man who had purchased a dream.’
- ‘Before long, fantasy not only intrudes into reality but becomes the only reality.’
- ‘Why does it take so long to mend an escalator?’
- ‘A family business cannot survive for long without a family to run as well as own it.’
- ‘Before long you're plotting weekends cycling in the country and perhaps a touring holiday or two.’
- ‘Before long they had three young daughters.’
- ‘Before too long the mass denial and the conspiracy theories will flourish again.’
2A long sound such as a long signal in Morse code or a long vowel or syllable.‘two longs and a short’
- ‘He blew two longs, a short and a long on the steam whistle as the train inched toward its top speed of 20 miles an hour.’
- ‘SOS is three longs, followed by three shorts, and another three longs.’
Long-dated securities, especially gilts.
- ‘If the dollar rises, gold will face pressure and may need to shake out more of the weaker longs before resuming its rise.’
- ‘In a weekly uptrend, continue adding to longs whenever the force index turns negative; continually add to shorts in downtrends whenever the force index turns positive.’
- ‘As such we have exited longs and will look to buy again after the coming retracement.’
- ‘At this level we will accumulate dollar longs and warn buyers of gold stocks to watch out for a renewed decline if the dollar's seasonal pattern holds true.’
- 3.1 Assets held in a long position.
- ‘What this tells us is that the funds had begun to not only eliminate longs but were in the process of actually building a short position since the technical indicators had all flipped negative.’
- ‘The risk of the longs is that the price will fall.’
- ‘Looking at the pattern of returns emerging from the whole portfolio - mixing up longs and shorts and any currency overlays - does not give enough information.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.