One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Information.‘you've got more gen on him than we have’
facts, figures, statistics, details, particulars, specifics, featuresView synonyms
- ‘What we really want is the gen on his battle with Mrs T, and in a thriller-esque account of the Westland affair, we get it.’
- ‘For more information and pricing details please call Mojo for the latest gen.’
- ‘You've got more gen on him than we have.’
- ‘He often has the inside gen on cool stuff happening online and in London.’
- ‘There's no point calling up Dell yet - tech support staff haven't been fully briefed on the machine yet - but here's the gen, as our sources tell us.’
- ‘Amir has the gen on what's happening in Iranian politics at the moment.’
- ‘Oliver Mann gives the gen on the coolest new destinations for the switched-on global traveller in 2005’
- ‘Here's the full gen from the company: "About the size of a grain of rice, each product contains a unique verification number that is captured by briefly passing a proprietary scanner over the chip."’
- ‘She gave me all the gen on the allotment and we agreed a time and a day to meet up there.’
- ‘The 'Hurricane' described by the idiot who gave us the false 'gen' was, of course, the Hawker Typhoon.’
Second World War (originally used in the armed services): perhaps from the first syllable of general information.
- ‘the next gen of consoles’short for generation‘third-gen data protocols’
- ‘Enhanced offerings will include Internet broadband access, media, IPTV, online gaming, and messaging, as well as next-gen services.’
- ‘If Mathew's parents were both born here, doesn't that make his grandparents first gen, and him third gen?’
- ‘I hope both Sony and MS reveal at least some news about the next gen of consoles.’
- ‘RSS readers are not that social, even with so-called "next gen" newsreaders that recommend sites based on what you already read.’
- ‘Many years ago I received a first-gen iPod shuffle as a gift.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.