One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A monotheistic pre-Islamic religion of ancient Persia founded by Zoroaster in the 6th century BC.
- ‘It saw the appearance and spread of Zoroastrianism, and some spectacular architecture at, for example, Darius' capital at Persepolis.’
- ‘The spirituality in Star Wars is so universal that many world religions, from Adventism to Zoroastrianism, have found their beliefs reflected in the movie.’
- ‘Besides Hinduism, Taoism, Islam, Buddhism, Christianity, Judaism, Sikhism, Jainism and Zoroastrianism all flourish there.’
- ‘Buddhism, Sikhism, Zoroastrianism and to some extent Jainism came from Hinduism.’
- ‘Also, some scholars have tended to discuss the influence of Zoroastrianism and its dualistic ‘light’ and ‘dark’ concepts on second Temple Judaism and the New Testament.’
- ‘The prophet Zoroaster introduced Zoroastrianism to Persia.’
- ‘It was in this period that Reid and his Church rejected Zoroastrianism for Druidry as the core image of their universalist faith.’
- ‘It is also worth mentioning that when Islam came to Iran, Zoroastrianism was followed only by a minority of the Iranian people.’
- ‘The majority of Iranians embraced Islam and many Zoroastrians fled to India, but traces of Zoroastrianism remained.’
- ‘Like Irwin, he could read and speak Arabic, and he had studied Judaism, Christianity, Buddhism, Shintoism, Hinduism and Zoroastrianism, to which he made constant references in his commentaries.’
- ‘Aryan invaders of the second century B.C. established Zoroastrianism as the dominant religion in the area, lending the people their distinctive ethnic heritage as well as their name.’
- ‘To the latter, the opportunity to meet practitioners of Islam, Judaism and Hinduism, as well as Sikhism, Zoroastrianism and Wicca, is an adventure of discovery.’
- ‘The religious life of the empire was dominated by Zoroastrianism, established as the state cult in the 3rd century.’
- ‘And having explored these beliefs and practices, she came to accept God and Zoroastrianism as her religion.’
- ‘He draws upon linkages between the religious traditions of Hinduism, Islam, Christianity and Zoroastrianism.’
- ‘During the Sui-Tang era, China traded extensively by land and by sea with the known world, and Islam, Judaism, Zoroastrianism, and Christianity were brought into China.’
- ‘As far as I can tell, the concept is an amalgamation of ideas from Judaism, Zoroastrianism, and other sources which I am not as familiar.’
- ‘In Zoroastrianism and Roman Catholicism, only men can function as priests.’
- ‘Elsewhere, remnants of Zoroastrianism coexist with some cemeteries that have Russian Orthodox crosses on the graves.’
- ‘Their religion is Zoroastrianism, the oldest of the monotheistic religions.’
According to the teachings of Zoroaster the supreme god, Ahura Mazda, created twin spirits, one of which chose truth and light, the other untruth and darkness. Later writings present a more dualistic cosmology in which the struggle is between Ahura Mazda (Ormazd) and the evil spirit Ahriman. The scriptures of Zoroastrianism are the Zend-Avesta. The religion survives today in isolated areas of Iran and in India, where followers are known as Parsees
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.