Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A monotheistic pre-Islamic religion of ancient Persia founded by Zoroaster in the 6th century bc.→ Mazdaism
- ‘As far as I can tell, the concept is an amalgamation of ideas from Judaism, Zoroastrianism, and other sources which I am not as familiar.’
- ‘Besides Hinduism, Taoism, Islam, Buddhism, Christianity, Judaism, Sikhism, Jainism and Zoroastrianism all flourish there.’
- ‘Also, some scholars have tended to discuss the influence of Zoroastrianism and its dualistic ‘light’ and ‘dark’ concepts on second Temple Judaism and the New Testament.’
- ‘Buddhism, Sikhism, Zoroastrianism and to some extent Jainism came from Hinduism.’
- ‘And having explored these beliefs and practices, she came to accept God and Zoroastrianism as her religion.’
- ‘During the Sui-Tang era, China traded extensively by land and by sea with the known world, and Islam, Judaism, Zoroastrianism, and Christianity were brought into China.’
- ‘To the latter, the opportunity to meet practitioners of Islam, Judaism and Hinduism, as well as Sikhism, Zoroastrianism and Wicca, is an adventure of discovery.’
- ‘He draws upon linkages between the religious traditions of Hinduism, Islam, Christianity and Zoroastrianism.’
- ‘Aryan invaders of the second century B.C. established Zoroastrianism as the dominant religion in the area, lending the people their distinctive ethnic heritage as well as their name.’
- ‘It was in this period that Reid and his Church rejected Zoroastrianism for Druidry as the core image of their universalist faith.’
- ‘The prophet Zoroaster introduced Zoroastrianism to Persia.’
- ‘Their religion is Zoroastrianism, the oldest of the monotheistic religions.’
- ‘In Zoroastrianism and Roman Catholicism, only men can function as priests.’
- ‘It is also worth mentioning that when Islam came to Iran, Zoroastrianism was followed only by a minority of the Iranian people.’
- ‘The majority of Iranians embraced Islam and many Zoroastrians fled to India, but traces of Zoroastrianism remained.’
- ‘Like Irwin, he could read and speak Arabic, and he had studied Judaism, Christianity, Buddhism, Shintoism, Hinduism and Zoroastrianism, to which he made constant references in his commentaries.’
- ‘The religious life of the empire was dominated by Zoroastrianism, established as the state cult in the 3rd century.’
- ‘It saw the appearance and spread of Zoroastrianism, and some spectacular architecture at, for example, Darius' capital at Persepolis.’
- ‘Elsewhere, remnants of Zoroastrianism coexist with some cemeteries that have Russian Orthodox crosses on the graves.’
- ‘The spirituality in Star Wars is so universal that many world religions, from Adventism to Zoroastrianism, have found their beliefs reflected in the movie.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.