Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A monotheistic pre-Islamic religion of ancient Persia founded by Zoroaster in the 6th century BC.
- ‘The prophet Zoroaster introduced Zoroastrianism to Persia.’
- ‘Aryan invaders of the second century B.C. established Zoroastrianism as the dominant religion in the area, lending the people their distinctive ethnic heritage as well as their name.’
- ‘It saw the appearance and spread of Zoroastrianism, and some spectacular architecture at, for example, Darius' capital at Persepolis.’
- ‘It is also worth mentioning that when Islam came to Iran, Zoroastrianism was followed only by a minority of the Iranian people.’
- ‘Besides Hinduism, Taoism, Islam, Buddhism, Christianity, Judaism, Sikhism, Jainism and Zoroastrianism all flourish there.’
- ‘The spirituality in Star Wars is so universal that many world religions, from Adventism to Zoroastrianism, have found their beliefs reflected in the movie.’
- ‘Their religion is Zoroastrianism, the oldest of the monotheistic religions.’
- ‘Also, some scholars have tended to discuss the influence of Zoroastrianism and its dualistic ‘light’ and ‘dark’ concepts on second Temple Judaism and the New Testament.’
- ‘In Zoroastrianism and Roman Catholicism, only men can function as priests.’
- ‘To the latter, the opportunity to meet practitioners of Islam, Judaism and Hinduism, as well as Sikhism, Zoroastrianism and Wicca, is an adventure of discovery.’
- ‘The majority of Iranians embraced Islam and many Zoroastrians fled to India, but traces of Zoroastrianism remained.’
- ‘Elsewhere, remnants of Zoroastrianism coexist with some cemeteries that have Russian Orthodox crosses on the graves.’
- ‘The religious life of the empire was dominated by Zoroastrianism, established as the state cult in the 3rd century.’
- ‘Like Irwin, he could read and speak Arabic, and he had studied Judaism, Christianity, Buddhism, Shintoism, Hinduism and Zoroastrianism, to which he made constant references in his commentaries.’
- ‘During the Sui-Tang era, China traded extensively by land and by sea with the known world, and Islam, Judaism, Zoroastrianism, and Christianity were brought into China.’
- ‘And having explored these beliefs and practices, she came to accept God and Zoroastrianism as her religion.’
- ‘As far as I can tell, the concept is an amalgamation of ideas from Judaism, Zoroastrianism, and other sources which I am not as familiar.’
- ‘Buddhism, Sikhism, Zoroastrianism and to some extent Jainism came from Hinduism.’
- ‘It was in this period that Reid and his Church rejected Zoroastrianism for Druidry as the core image of their universalist faith.’
- ‘He draws upon linkages between the religious traditions of Hinduism, Islam, Christianity and Zoroastrianism.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.