Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The chief text of the Jewish Kabbalah, presented as an allegorical or mystical interpretation of the Pentateuch.
- ‘The Zohar, the chief work of the Kabbalah, explains, "whoever blows, blows from within."’
- ‘And without a commentary, The Zohar really is an impenetrable text, because of the symbolism that appears in almost every line.’
- ‘Daniel C Matt is a leading authority on Kabbalah and is engaged in translating the definitive edition of the Zohar.’
- ‘This is a wonderful and sensitive synthesis of Kabbalah, focusing on the mysticism of the Zohar and its later manifestations.’
- ‘Scholars generally agree that kabbalah's originating text, the Zohar, dates from 13 th-century Spain.’
- ‘This article is based on a large number Talmudic legends, and on statements from the Zohar.’
- ‘The Zohar was explicitly intended by the Divine to be a tool of empowerment all of mankind.’
- ‘Thus, the verse from Leviticus to which the Zohar refers alludes to the potential perfection that the Tabernacle could bring about.’
- ‘The Zohar is meant to be deciphered, it doesn't serve you the meaning on a platter.’
- ‘It's hard to know what The Zohar really means.’
- ‘Furthermore, the Zohar says, Adam is an acronym standing for the three milestones of human history.’
- ‘According to the Zohar, in our generation, the rabbis will be responsible for the spiritual decline of the people.’
- ‘According to some sources in the Zohar, the official beginning of the ingathering may have been the year 5750 from creation, or 1990 CE.’
- ‘Anyone who opens a page of the Zohar, or any kabbalistic book, sees that kabbalah is inextricably bound up in the Jewish tradition.’
- ‘According to believers, it is a mystical offshoot of the Jewish faith, elaborated in an encyclopedic set of medieval tomes called the Zohar.’
- ‘The center's students are encouraged to buy copies of the Zohar, an expensive purchase.’
- ‘The Zohar is heavy on social action to the extent that the sovereignty of God is nearly nonexistent.’
- ‘According to the Zohar, prior to the sin of eating, Man was such a spiritual being that his skin was translucent like light.’
- ‘I was the first person to translate the whole Zohar in 23 volumes from Aramaic into English.’
- ‘Certainly when The Zohar first appeared, it was intended for a relatively small circle of Jewish mystics.’
From Hebrew zōhar, literally light, splendour.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.