One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Year(s)‘orbital period (Pluto): 248.5y’
nounPlural ys, Plural Ys, Plural Y's
1The twenty-fifth letter of the alphabet.
- ‘Created by two of todays wittiest, most imaginative minds, The Alphabet from A to Y with Bonus Letter Z! is a sheer delight from A to Z.’
- ‘Find fun games, crafts, stories, and other educational activities all related to the letter Y.’
- 1.1 Denoting the next after X in a set of items, categories, etc.
- ‘What Comes Next After Generation X? ... I would say, generation Y.’
- ‘After Boomers and X's, Here Come the Y's.’
- 1.2 Denoting a second unknown or unspecified person or thing.‘the claim that chemical X causes birth defect Y’
- ‘In mathematics, Y is the second in a set of two or three unknowns comprising x, y, and z.’
- ‘Y denotes a second unknown or unspecified person or thing: the claim that chemical X causes birth defect Y.’
- 1.3usually "y" The second unknown quantity in an algebraic expression, usually the dependent variable.
- ‘By convention, we call the dependent variable y.’
- ‘In algebra, a variable is a symbol used to represent any number. For example, in this equation:. 2(x+y) = 2x + 2y. x and y are variables.’
- 1.4usually "y" Denoting the secondary or vertical axis in a system of coordinates.in combination ‘the y-axis’
- ‘Cartesian coordinate system with the circle of radius 2 centered at the origin marked in red. The equation of the circle is x2 + y2 = 4..’
- ‘The horizontal axis is normally labeled x, and the vertical axis is normally labeled y.’
2"Y"A shape like that of a capital Y.in combination ‘rows of tiny Y-shaped motifs’
2North American informal A YMCA or YWCA hostel.‘Scott was living at the Y’
- ‘With the intensity of the heat and the humidity becoming all a little too much, I came back to the Y, for a swim and for a sleep.’
- ‘Its Fun To Stay At The Y in HK.’
The chemical element yttrium.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.