Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An order of mammals that comprises the edentates.Also called Edentata
- ‘Our results show the existence of four primary lineages of placental mammals: Xenarthra, Afrotheria, Laurasiatheria, and Euarchontoglires.’
- ‘Unfortunately, information on the condition of feeding apparatus muscles in ant-eating taxa outside the Xenarthra and Pholidota is incomplete.’
- ‘Let's turn to what is known about the anatomy of the feeding apparatus in Xenarthra and Pholidota.’
- ‘Particularly, we focused on the whole spectrum of mice actually used in biomedical research, on the Xenarthra and the Chiroptera.’
- ‘Other members of the Xenarthra may or may not also be included.’
Modern Latin (plural), from xeno- ‘strange’ + Greek arthron joint (because of the peculiar accessory articulations in the vertebrae).
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.