Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An order of mammals that comprises the edentates.Also called Edentata
- ‘Let's turn to what is known about the anatomy of the feeding apparatus in Xenarthra and Pholidota.’
- ‘Particularly, we focused on the whole spectrum of mice actually used in biomedical research, on the Xenarthra and the Chiroptera.’
- ‘Unfortunately, information on the condition of feeding apparatus muscles in ant-eating taxa outside the Xenarthra and Pholidota is incomplete.’
- ‘Other members of the Xenarthra may or may not also be included.’
- ‘Our results show the existence of four primary lineages of placental mammals: Xenarthra, Afrotheria, Laurasiatheria, and Euarchontoglires.’
Modern Latin (plural), from xeno- ‘strange’ + Greek arthron ‘joint’ (because of the peculiar accessory articulations in the vertebrae).
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.