Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[treated as singular] A GUI operating system for personal computers.
- ‘I had a go at downloading some Windows updates from a Win2k machine with broadband yesterday and gave up because it was so slow.’
- ‘By the end of that year you could plug a Windows system into the Internet and be infected with a dozen worms before you even had a chance to download the latest updates.’
- ‘What programs do I need to install to allow me to use CGI in a Windows environment?’
- ‘The EU ordered Microsoft to sell a version of Windows without its media player.’
- ‘From this point on, when referring to SPSS for Windows in the text, it will be called simply SPSS.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.