Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A form of modern paganism, especially a tradition founded in England in the mid 20th century and claiming its origins in pre-Christian religions.‘a guild for those interested in paganism, Wicca, and folklore’
- ‘In 1999, the US army chaplaincy recognized the neo-pagan Wicca as a legitimate faith.’
- ‘Keep in mind that Wicca is a religion, not just a magical system.’
- ‘I get the impression that Wicca has been a source of empowerment, the idea of a strong goddess is very attractive.’
- ‘Yet Wicca is a religion, you can't invent it as you go along.’
- ‘Modern Wicca, hybrid Asiatic astrologies, and new geomancy beliefs, are perhaps too new.’
- ‘I have tried to impart to them that Wicca is very spiritual and fluid as far as religions go.’
- ‘I really don't think there is a more feared and hated religion than Paganism or Wicca.’
- ‘Many people want a religion like Wicca, but don't know where to look for it.’
- ‘What often gets overlooked is that Wicca and Witchcraft are not the same thing.’
- ‘Unfortunately for many Pagans the teachings of Wicca provide little or no help.’
- ‘We began to talk about our spiritual wants and needs, and she told me about Wicca and Paganism.’
- ‘I realize that this is very far from Wicca, any elemental magic or chaos magic, Qabbalah or any of the more benign practices.’
- ‘I also think it probable that the question of the origins of Wicca will never be completely resolved.’
- ‘Pagan followers can go by the title of witches, Druids, heathens or shamans, and some adhere to the tradition of Wicca.’
- ‘Late antique Neoplatonism was essentially monotheism; Wicca is essentially duotheism.’
- ‘Adherents of Wicca, a pagan religion, worship nature and focus on positive energy.’
- ‘I am currently in my third year and am conducting research in to why people turn to Wicca as a religion in contemporary Britain.’
- ‘Though Wicca isn't my thing I don't mind reading a bit about it.’
- ‘There are so many out there, Jewish, Moslem, Russian Orthodox, Wicca - a religion for all seasons.’
- ‘But we need to take steps to educate people on the reality that is Paganism and Wicca.’
1950s: representing Old English wicca ‘witch’.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.