One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
nounPlural westies, Plural WestiesAustralian, NZ
A person from the western suburbs of a city, typically seen as socially disadvantaged.‘we were served by some westie with an attitude problem’as modifier ‘the show was self-conscious about its westie stereotypes’
- ‘In Victoria the differences between prole accents (westies, bogans, etc.) and "proper" English is marked.’
- ‘Lefties think that stupid westies are too stupid to make a sensible decision about their health care needs.’
- ‘And here was me assuming the locale would be markedly friendlier than the Bronx (ie, the westie suburbs).’
- ‘Hell, I wanted to do Naughty Rude because there is too much of the bogan westie macho footballer ideology going around amongst guys.’
- ‘Funny how inside every flannel wearing westie, there is a world champion drag racer raring to get out.’
- ‘His show reads like a westie couple's favourite jukebox tunes.’
- ‘No one carries on like that, not even a Westie.’
- ‘Laughing at westie fashions is like the cheap fart joke of suburban humour.’
- ‘It's amazing how much rubbish westies throw into these canals.’
- ‘Basically, this guy is the biggest westie out.’
1970s: from west + -ie.
nounPlural westies, Plural Westiesinformal
A West Highland terrier.
- ‘The Westie is a wonderful breed, scoring big on the Cute-O-Meter, with buckets of surprising intelligence to boot.’
- ‘A mighty barking heralds your approach, and the visitor is engulfed by a tidal wave of Labradors, Westies and an Irish Water Spaniel who then jockey for position beside and over you on the sofas.’
- ‘We want one eventually but the problem is they want a Clydesdale and a Westie too.’
- ‘The Westie, a fluffy eight year-old, stands accused of annoying neighbours in Braeside Place, Aberdeen, by barking too loudly.’
- ‘Alexia slipped the leash on the two Westies before bringing them to the kennel just behind the house.’
- ‘And a seven-year-old Westie, dumped in Grays, was found unable to stand up and could not be saved by vets who found it had a brain condition.’
- ‘Another Doberman, two beagles, a chihuahua, a Finnish spitz, a Westie and a retriever will also be travelling up with their owners to the competition on March 6 to 9.’
- ‘Like other white dogs, the Westie often has problems with skin allergies, usually caused by fleas.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.