Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A flavivirus originally isolated in eastern Africa, transmitted by mosquitoes, usually between birds, but sometimes causing epidemics of disease (typically fever or encephalitis) in humans and horses.‘these pools can become a breeding ground for mosquitoes carrying West Nile Virus’
- ‘Harley, a barred owl, gets a vaccination for the West Nile virus from Dr. Jim Langley.’
- ‘Biologists suspect that migrating birds are spreading West Nile virus.’
- ‘You've probably heard of Murray Valley encephalitis, part of the same family as the West Nile virus.’
- ‘A kidney recipient tested positive for West Nile virus but was reported to have no symptoms.’
- ‘Humans can contract the disease when bitten by mosquitoes infected with West Nile virus.’
- ‘There have been seven confirmed cases of West Nile virus encephalitis this year in Florida.’
- ‘Mosquitoes acquire West Nile virus from birds and pass it on to other birds, animals and people.’
- ‘Diagnosis of West Nile virus can be difficult using current methods.’
- ‘The president's regressed condition is spreading like the West Nile virus throughout the West Wing and beyond.’
- ‘An elderly Georgia woman was confirmed on Friday as the first fatality this year from West Nile virus.’
- ‘There have been a small number of cases of tourists in Europe catching West Nile virus from mosquito bites.’
- ‘How can you avoid the itch as well as mosquito-borne illnesses such as West Nile virus?’
- ‘Humans typically acquire West Nile virus through a bite from an infected adult mosquito.’
- ‘Further testing yesterday at the California Department of Health Services confirmed West Nile virus infection.’
- ‘Reports of the possible spread of West Nile virus to Florida are a reminder that mosquitoes are no mere summertime irritant.’
- ‘Wild birds are the primary hosts for West Nile virus, which is passed among animals via mosquito bites.’
- ‘Birds are the main carriers of the West Nile virus, which is spread by mosquitoes.’
- ‘Surveillance of mosquitoes, sentinel birds, and dead birds for West Nile virus in America warned of this summer's impending outbreak.’
- ‘People become infected with West Nile virus, a strain of encephalitis, through the bite of infected mosquitoes.’
- ‘But the St. Louis encephalitis virus is actually more lethal than the West Nile virus.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.