Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A flavivirus originally isolated in eastern Africa, transmitted by mosquitoes, usually between birds, but sometimes causing epidemics of disease (typically fever or encephalitis) in humans and horses.‘these pools can become a breeding ground for mosquitoes carrying West Nile Virus’
- ‘Humans can contract the disease when bitten by mosquitoes infected with West Nile virus.’
- ‘Humans typically acquire West Nile virus through a bite from an infected adult mosquito.’
- ‘Mosquitoes acquire West Nile virus from birds and pass it on to other birds, animals and people.’
- ‘There have been seven confirmed cases of West Nile virus encephalitis this year in Florida.’
- ‘How can you avoid the itch as well as mosquito-borne illnesses such as West Nile virus?’
- ‘The president's regressed condition is spreading like the West Nile virus throughout the West Wing and beyond.’
- ‘Biologists suspect that migrating birds are spreading West Nile virus.’
- ‘A kidney recipient tested positive for West Nile virus but was reported to have no symptoms.’
- ‘There have been a small number of cases of tourists in Europe catching West Nile virus from mosquito bites.’
- ‘You've probably heard of Murray Valley encephalitis, part of the same family as the West Nile virus.’
- ‘Surveillance of mosquitoes, sentinel birds, and dead birds for West Nile virus in America warned of this summer's impending outbreak.’
- ‘But the St. Louis encephalitis virus is actually more lethal than the West Nile virus.’
- ‘An elderly Georgia woman was confirmed on Friday as the first fatality this year from West Nile virus.’
- ‘Wild birds are the primary hosts for West Nile virus, which is passed among animals via mosquito bites.’
- ‘Birds are the main carriers of the West Nile virus, which is spread by mosquitoes.’
- ‘Further testing yesterday at the California Department of Health Services confirmed West Nile virus infection.’
- ‘People become infected with West Nile virus, a strain of encephalitis, through the bite of infected mosquitoes.’
- ‘Diagnosis of West Nile virus can be difficult using current methods.’
- ‘Harley, a barred owl, gets a vaccination for the West Nile virus from Dr. Jim Langley.’
- ‘Reports of the possible spread of West Nile virus to Florida are a reminder that mosquitoes are no mere summertime irritant.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.