One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A male native or inhabitant of Wales, or a man of Welsh descent.
- ‘Here, in the early thirteenth century, a physician named Rhiwallon founded a line of doctors that spread across Wales and persisted for hundreds of years - some Welshmen still claim descent from the physicians.’
- ‘For me there were many other role models of Welshmen working in pastorates all over our little nation - Wales is 200 miles north to south and a hundred miles east to west.’
- ‘Hercus made the touchline conversion this time, meaning the Welshmen were 15-3 ahead after only 15 minutes.’
- ‘But that was as close as the Welshmen were going to get.’
- ‘The Welshmen had brought this game to Wrexham to strengthen new links in the north-west of the country, and they were rewarded with a crowd of 5,060, more than the Wrexham football team had drawn the previous night.’
- ‘Native-born Welshmen have a significant presence in the national squad.’
- ‘The Welshmen singing ‘Men of Harlech’ is very stirring.’
- ‘In a new departure, most bishops appointed to Wales after 1559 were native Welshmen, and several of them gave patronage to the bards who played an important part in Welsh society.’
- ‘It was a case of using whoever was available so we had a few Welshmen and the rest of us were from all over.’
- ‘This Discovery Channel article reports asks ‘Stonehenge: Built by Welshmen?’’
- ‘I am a Welshman who is as proud today of being team manager as I was on the day I was appointed to the job.’
- ‘The Welshmen contained United until Graham Kavanagh chested down a ball into Thorne's path on 41 minutes and Neil Harris scored with a diagonal shot.’
- ‘The first-half switching of Howarth and Tommy Hayes, with each taking a turn at stand-off, also baffled the Welshmen and led directly to the opening try.’
- ‘The Welshmen were struggling in the old fourth division at the time while Arsenal were one of the biggest forces in the game.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.