One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A member of a German youth organization founded at the end of the 19th century for the promotion of outdoor activities and folk culture.
- ‘In its early years it was identified with the German youth movement (Wandervogel), through such contemporary composers as Hugo Distler, and with the associated rediscovery of early music.’
- ‘The Nazis also absorbed the German Youth Movement, the Wandervogel, which talked of our mystical relationship with the earth.’
- ‘While in Germany he joined the ‘Wandervogel’ group - a group that was anti-Semite in its views but seems to have tolerated Jews to be in the movement.’
- ‘The ‘Wandervogel’ youth groups were the guitar-playing nature-loving members of the inter-war counter-culture and forerunners of the Hitler Youth.’
- 1.1 A wanderer, especially someone who travels the world on foot.as modifier ‘a jet-age Wandervogel intimacy with the scene on several continents’
German, literally ‘bird of passage’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.