Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A cat-sized opossum with a greyish body and a white face, widespread throughout North and Central America.→ opossum
- ‘And not all immune animals are runts - the Virginia opossum is shielded from 37 species of pit vipers, including all major North American rattlers.’
- ‘Behavioral studies on the Virginia opossum indicated evidence for color vision.’
- ‘The world's 270 marsupials mostly live in Australia, neighboring islands, and South America, with the exception of North America's Virginia opossum, a relatively recent immigrant.’
- ‘I'm talking opossum here - Virginia opossum, to be precise, and Didelphis virginiana, to be specific.’
- ‘Potential predators of parrot nests include snakes (Boa constrictor and Drymarchon corals], rats (Oryzomys couesi and Xenomys nelsoni), Virginia opossum, and white-nosed coati.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.