One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A cat-sized opossum with a greyish body and a white face, widespread throughout North and Central America.
Didelphis virginiana, family Didelphidae
- ‘Potential predators of parrot nests include snakes (Boa constrictor and Drymarchon corals], rats (Oryzomys couesi and Xenomys nelsoni), Virginia opossum, and white-nosed coati.’
- ‘Behavioral studies on the Virginia opossum indicated evidence for color vision.’
- ‘The world's 270 marsupials mostly live in Australia, neighboring islands, and South America, with the exception of North America's Virginia opossum, a relatively recent immigrant.’
- ‘I'm talking opossum here - Virginia opossum, to be precise, and Didelphis virginiana, to be specific.’
- ‘And not all immune animals are runts - the Virginia opossum is shielded from 37 species of pit vipers, including all major North American rattlers.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.