Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1The most important Buddhist festival, taking place at the full moon when the sun is in the zodiacal sign of Taurus, and commemorating the birth, enlightenment, and death of the Buddha.
- ‘The lord of Buddha's birthday falls on Wesak which is the full moon in May and is considered the most important full moon of the year, honoring the great blessing of earth and the fullness of the spring.’
- ‘Chanting and praying are an important part of Wesak.’
- ‘I remember during Vesak and other Buddhist festivals the inmates organised meals and other things for passers-by.’
- ‘One of the most important festivals of all is Vesak at the full moon in May when the birth, enlightenment and decease of the Buddha are remembered.’
- ‘The TPF called off its campaign on the Buddhist festival of Vesak, but warned protests would resume.’
- 1.1 The month in which the festival of Vesak occurs.
- ‘Thus began the great trance from which he was to emerge on the full moon day of the month of Vesak as a Fully Enlightened One, a Buddha.’
- ‘The Buddhist Calendar begins with the month of Vesak.’
Sinhalese vesak, via Pali from Sanskrit vaiśākha, denoting the month April–May.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.