One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
nounmass nounAustralian, NZ
A type of savoury spread made from concentrated yeast extract.
- ‘In 1908, it became the Australian distributor of Marmite, a vegetable extract which became extremely popular and spawned an even more famous imitator in the 1920s, Vegemite.’
- ‘One food remains an Australian tradition - a black spread called Vegemite.’
- ‘Walker ran an Australia-wide competition to officially name his spread, the winning name was Vegemite and in 1923 Vegemite first graced grocers shelves.’
- ‘I had to have apricot jam because we were out of Vegemite!’
- ‘The last thing I ate was a piece of wholegrain toast with Vegemite.’
1920s: from vegetable, on the pattern of Marmite.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.