Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The maximum or optimum rate at which the heart, lungs, and muscles can effectively use oxygen during exercise, used as a way of measuring a person's individual aerobic capacity.
- ‘Your VO2 max measures your body's ability to consume oxygen.’
- ‘Moderate activity can be defined using heart rate and VO2 max ranges, rating of perceived exertion, and MET charts for specific activities.’
- ‘The vital statistics tell their own story: his VO2 max (the maximum oxygen consumption, expressed as millilitres of oxygen per kg of body weight per minute) is 83.8; the average male's is between 45-50.’
- ‘What was surprising, however, was that there were also relatively large increases in lung capacity and VO2 max.’
- ‘The VO2 max for an elite cyclist can range from 70 to more than 80 ml/kg/minute.’
From volume, O ₂ (the chemical formula for oxygen), and maximum.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.