One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The maximum or optimum rate at which the heart, lungs, and muscles can effectively use oxygen during exercise, used as a way of measuring a person's individual aerobic capacity.
- ‘The VO2 max for an elite cyclist can range from 70 to more than 80 ml/kg/minute.’
- ‘The vital statistics tell their own story: his VO2 max (the maximum oxygen consumption, expressed as millilitres of oxygen per kg of body weight per minute) is 83.8; the average male's is between 45-50.’
- ‘Moderate activity can be defined using heart rate and VO2 max ranges, rating of perceived exertion, and MET charts for specific activities.’
- ‘Your VO2 max measures your body's ability to consume oxygen.’
- ‘What was surprising, however, was that there were also relatively large increases in lung capacity and VO2 max.’
From volume, O ₂ (the chemical formula for oxygen), and maximum.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.