One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
2(in textual references) verse.‘the use of the dī phrase in v.44’
4Versus.‘Portsmouth v Coventry City’‘the case of Stacey v Babcock Power Ltd’
6(in textual references) vide.
1Vatican City (international vehicle registration).
1The chemical element vanadium.
2Voltage or potential difference.‘V = IR’
3(in mathematical formulae) volume.‘pV = nRT’
1The twenty-second letter of the alphabet.
- ‘List every girl's name that you can think of that begins with the letter V.’
- ‘The letter V has been assigned the number 4 in numerology.’
- ‘What are some adjectives that begins with V?’
- 1.1 Denoting the next after U in a set of items, categories, etc.
- ‘If a site has been identified as falling into Category V, this will become apparent when a title search has been conducted by a buyer's lawyer.’
- ‘Initially all triangles are placed in set V.’
2A shape like that of a letter V.in combination ‘deep, V-shaped valleys’
- ‘The filter is located in the center of the vee, between the two rows of cylinders so it can be reached easily from above.’
- ‘However, as the second vee of bombers approached only two F4Fs were in position to attack.’
- ‘I also love off the shoulder tops, or tops with a deep vee or wide neck.’
- ‘Tooling mortar joints with a steel jointer - whether concave, vee, or grapevine - makes the wall more attractive and smooths the joints to a more weather-resistant finish.’
- ‘Mary looked confused suddenly, her perfectly sculpted eyebrows forming a vee as she frowned.’
- ‘I placed the centre front seam on the fold of the fabric and cut the vee to more of a curve.’
- ‘When they finally came, it was in their tens of thousands, in vees and columns of up to two hundred birds at a time.’
- 2.1as modifier Denoting an internal combustion engine with a number of cylinders arranged in two rows at an angle to each other in a V-shape.‘a V-engine’
- ‘Externally, all V-engined Passats are differentiated from lesser models by their red-tinted tail lights.’
- ‘The bonnet may be the shortest seen on a Jaguar and shows just how compact a body the V-engine design can allow.’
- ‘Its supercharged V8 betters the Corvette's output by 100 horsepower.’
3The Roman numeral for five.
- ‘By 1364 he was in Paris, working for Charles V.’
- ‘Chapter V lays down certain important provisions that are common to the right of residence and permanent residence.’
- ‘Act V takes the form of a single extended scene.’
- ‘Fifteen years after starring in Rocky V, Sylvester Stallone is reprising his role as the boxing champ in the sixth Rocky movie.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.