Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An order of amphibians that comprises the newts and salamanders, which retain the tail as adults.Also called Caudata
- ‘They are among the most primitive of the Urodela, and their eggs are fertilised externally.’
- ‘There are more than 4,000 species of modern amphibians in three orders; in addition to the Anura, the Urodela (salamanders and newts) and Gymnophiona (caecilians - worm-like, with no limbs).’
- ‘They include all the members of the order Urodela, including the newts (family Salamandridae).’
- ‘Some female Urodela are provided with receptacula seminis.’
- ‘Middle Jurassic salamanders are more primitive than members of the modern families, but unequivocally belong to the Urodela.’
Modern Latin (plural), from uro- ‘tail’ + Greek dēlos evident.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.