One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A Brazilian folk religion combining elements of macumba, Roman Catholicism, and the practices of indigenous peoples of South America.as modifier ‘Umbanda rites’
- ‘Temples practice both Umbanda, a syncretic variant with strong Spiritist and Catholic influences, and Batuque.’
- ‘Likewise, Uruguayan devotees have taken the Brazilian par excellence Umbanda to Venezuela and Argentine practitioners are taking it to Spain and Italy.’
- ‘For approximately twenty years after arriving from Brazil in the mid 1960s Umbanda was not socially perceived as a religious movement in Buenos Aires.’
- ‘This was accomplished by identifying the religion primarily with Umbanda.’
- ‘Because of this accusation, for ten days Umbanda beliefs and practices were judged harshly in the media.’
- ‘Created with practitioners of Cuban Santeria, Haitian Vodou, and Brazilian Umbanda, it shows ritual and social practices as they existed in New York City in 1999.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.