One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘Why does Danny Elfman's music score erupt with Arabic-sounding ululations if not to make us think of the Middle East?’
- ‘He was right: the drums were beat perfect, the ululations from women's groups were in tune and the range of outfits had clearly been painstakingly constructed over some time.’
- ‘Zimbabwean President Robert Mugabe - reviled by the west - was greeted by screams, clapping and ululation in Dar es Salaam on Monday at the opening of a summit of southern African countries.’
- ‘Danny strategically played the Kaya song from his Kaya album and prolonged it till dawn as a way of bidding farewell to 2005 as he welcomed 2006 amid ululations and whistling among his fans in the packed hall.’
- ‘In the days to follow, Charles would argue that this high-pitched ululation was the real reason for the crash.’
- ‘Finally when the decorated bajra of the Lahiri family sails into view and the women begin their ululations, they notice that there is no responsive cheer from the bajra, when it is anchored no one rushes to the railings.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.