Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A member of a Turkic people of NW China, particularly the Xinjiang region, and adjoining areas.
- ‘Many of the artefacts were made under the suzerainty of the Uighurs, a Turkic people from western China who were the dominant power in Central Asia for nearly a century.’
- ‘Security officials said the men included Pakistanis, Arabs, Chechens, Uzbeks and ethnic Uighurs from China's predominantly Muslim Xinjiang province, where a separatist movement is simmering.’
- ‘He stressed, however, that China still has an obligation to respect the human rights of its minorities, including the Uighurs, a Turkic people native to western China.’
- ‘Delegates, including Tibetans, Cantonese speakers from Hong Kong and Macao, and Turkic Uighurs from Xinjiang in the remote northwest, struggle to make themselves understood in Mandarin.’
- ‘Most were Uzbeks, but there were also Afghans, Chechens, Uighurs from China and a small number of Arabs.’
- ‘The concerns of China, which faces problems with the Uighurs in its northwest region, also deserve attention.’
2[mass noun] The Turkic language of the Uighurs, which has about 7 million speakers.
- ‘Important documents are translated into major minority tongues and four of them - Tibetan, Mongolian, Uighur and Zhuang - appear on Chinese bank notes.’
- ‘Khalkha Mongolian may be written in traditional Uighur or Cyrillic script.’
- ‘He has seen the boy only once in his life; when they converse by telephone, the child speaks Chinese not Uighur.’
- ‘The Uighur language was purged from school curricula, and thousands of Uighur writers were arrested for ‘advocating separatism’ - which often meant nothing more than writing in Uighur.’
Relating to the Uighurs or their language.
- ‘The reforms of the Kazak and Uygur writing systems are examples of adoption of the Plan under political pressure against the will of the two language communities.’
- ‘The faces and dress are Uigur, Kazahk, Tajik and Tartar.’
- ‘The fun and games included a music by a traditional Xinjiang trio, dancing by Uighur girls in revealing outfits, lucky draws and games.’
- ‘They were reportedly training in Afghanistan with Uighur groups seeking independence or greater autonomy from China in the Xinjiang region.’
- ‘Beijing has pushed the governments of Kyrgyzstan and Kazakhstan to crack down on Uighur activists.’
- ‘But its generous portions, authentic cuisine, value and exotic Uygur dance all ensure a special dining experience.’
- ‘It's very worried about Uighur nationalism.’
The name in Uighur.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.