One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Relating to or denoting a pre-urban culture in Mesopotamia, dated to the 5th millennium BC.
- ‘As a result of this work it is now known that the site began in the 5th millennium bc, the Ubaid period, growing to urban proportions by the early 4th millennium bc.’
- ‘There is much continuity between the Ubaid culture and the succeeding Uruk period, when many of the earlier traditions were elaborated, particularly in architecture.’
- ‘Two societies were therefore involved at the site: the Mesopotamian Ubaid and the Arabian Neolithic.’
- ‘Around 3250 BC, what would later become the Sumerian culture started immigrating to Ubaid territory as well.’
- ‘The invention of the true potters’ wheel came at the end of the Ubaid period and helped usher in the Uruk period of pottery and culture.’
- 1.1as noun the Ubaid The Ubaid culture or period.
From the name of the tell Al ‘Ubaid near Ur in the Euphrates valley.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.