Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1[mass noun] A scarlet textile dye obtained from madder or alizarin.
- ‘They sent their fabric to Turkey red specialists to be dyed.’
- ‘It was mined in ancient Greece and then sold to the Turks who used it to make a beautiful red dye known as Turkey red.’
- 1.1The colour of this dye.
- 1.2Cotton cloth dyed with Turkey red, popular in the 19th century.
- ‘The diagonal chain effect is produced by squares of Turkey red fabric, which, unusually, are of a monochrome printed design.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.