Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A union or association between three powers or states, in particular that made in 1668 between England, the Netherlands, and Sweden against France, and that in 1882 between Germany, Austria–Hungary, and Italy against France and Russia.
- ‘In 1915 Italy turned from the Triple Alliance to make a treaty with Britain, France, and Russia.’
- ‘Against the combined threat of France and Russia the Triple Alliance with Austria and Italy, though renewed in February 1887, was not enough for German security.’
- ‘In April 1668, Sweden joined the anti-French Triple Alliance with Holland and Britain.’
- ‘Germany signed a secret alliance with Austria-Hungary and Italy, thus creating a Triple Alliance.’
- ‘In 1882 Italy entered the Triple Alliance with Austria and Germany.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.