Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A member of a Pueblo Indian people living mainly in the region of Taos, New Mexico.
- ‘The Tiwas use tribal masks for performing rituals.’
- ‘Having successfully helped close down the Texas casinos, he then took $4m in fees from the Tigua of El Paso, Texas, who wanted to get their casino reopened, it is claimed.’
- ‘The Tigua's casino in El Paso and an Alabama-Coushatta gaming center in Southeast Texas were closed in 2002 after a challenge from the state's then-attorney general.’
- ‘After the casino was shut down, they induced the Tiguas to hire them to wage a campaign to allow the casino's reopening.’
- ‘Many directed their anger from July 25 at the Texas Attorney General, who has sought to close both the Alabama-Coushatta and the Tiguas ' casino in El Paso.’
2[mass noun] The Tanoan language of the Tiwa, with fewer than 5,000 speakers.Compare with tewa
- ‘Called the pikuria by their neighbors to the South - meaning ‘those who paint’ - the tribe's cultural heritage, including their language, Tiwa, is largely passed down orally.’
- ‘He has become active in an effort to teach Tiwa, his native language, to the pueblo's children, and he understands his ranch work as part of a larger effort to help defend the tribe's water rights.’
Relating to the Tiwa or their language.
- ‘At issue is a $4.2 million fee they were paid by Texas' Tigua tribe.’
- ‘We got the entire Tigua tribal council coming by at one.’
- ‘The non-territorial Apex Councils established to protect Tiwa, Rabha and Mishing identities follow the earlier creation of new and more generously empowered Autonomous Councils for Karbi Anglong and the North Cachar Hills.’
- ‘Even more brazen was the effort to funnel millions of dollars through him for a campaign to shut down the El Paso, Texas casino run by the Tigua tribe.’
- ‘The historic Taos Pueblo, home of the Tiwa Indians since at least 900 AD, now enjoys a rich mixture of Anglo, Native American and Spanish cultures.’
The name in Tiwa.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.