Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An animal of a breed of large black-and-tan dog with a thick coat and drop ears.
- ‘A fearsome Tibetan mastiff stands guard outside a dwelling while a smaller dog is ready to sound the alarm indoors if anyone is clever enough or lucky enough to slip past the mastiff.’
- ‘In order to turbocharge the Akita's aggressiveness, it was crossbred with Tibetan mastiffs and Great Danes.’
- ‘The first Tibetan Mastiff Club of America (TMCA) was founded in 1974, and is one of the oldest clubs for the Tibetan Mastiff in America.’
- ‘In the dog shows in Delhi, the Tibetan mastiff, the Lhasa Apso and the Rampur hound are, very often, the stars.’
- ‘Some experts believe both dogs may be descended from the Tibetan mastiff, which is often recognized as one of the most ancient dog breeds.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.