Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1An order of insects that comprises the true, or three-pronged, bristletails.
- ‘The database is being filled by chronological input from Thysanura literature on hand.’
- ‘There are huge gaps in the early fossil record, since several basal hexapod groups have not been found at all in the Paleozoic: Protura, Diplura, and Thysanura.’
- ‘The amber also contains an insect of particularly ancient origin, a bristletail, a member of insect Order Thysanura.’
- 1.1 Insects of the order "Thysanura" ; bristletails.‘thysanura with compound eyes’
- ‘The Thysanura are widely distributed throughout warmer parts of the world.’
- ‘The Thysanura are primitive insects, wingless and with lengthened body that usually live in sheltered places avoiding the direct sunlight.’
Modern Latin (plural), from Greek thusanos ‘tassel’ + oura ‘tail’.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.