Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A member of a people of Sierra Leone.
- ‘This small country includes the homelands of 20 African peoples, including the Mende, Lokko, Temne, Limba, Susu, Yalunka, Sherbro, Bullom, Krim, Koranko, Kono, Vai, Kissi, Gola, and Fula, the latter having the largest numbers.’
- ‘The Portuguese navigator Pedro de Cintra reached it in 1462, at about the time the Temne, its chief inhabitants, were reaching the coast.’
- ‘In 1841, illegally captured Mendes, Temnes, and members of other tribes managed to take control of their slave ship, the Amistad.’
- ‘Among the Temne of Africa it can take days to fashion a hairstyle.’
- ‘For example, the two largest ethnic groups, the Temne and Mende, each comprise about 30 percent of the total population, and have come to ‘absorb’ many of their less populous neighbors.’
2[mass noun] The Niger–Congo language of the Temne, the main language of Sierra Leone, with about 1 million speakers.
- ‘Krio, Mende and Temne are widely spoken, with Krio being the lingua franca.’
- ‘For example, if both parents speak Temne and Mende the child becomes bilingual in those languages and, usually, the widely used Krio language.’
- ‘You probably don't speak Temne yourself, so there are a few questions you'll need to consider when choosing a translation company.’
Relating to the Temne or their language.
- ‘For instance, Loko people will admit to being heavily culturally influenced by the Temne people surrounding them, the Krim and the Gola by Sierra Leone’
- ‘In 1562, Temne warriors reneged on a deal with a European slave trader and drove him away with a fleet of war canoes.’
- ‘The analysis of Temne perceptions of the occult is particularly welcome.’
The name in Temne.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.