One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A tough synthetic resin made by polymerizing tetrafluoroethylene, chiefly used to coat non-stick cooking utensils and to make seals and bearings.Also called polytetrafluoroethylene
- ‘A mix of trendy and traditional styles is available and the entire range is made from machine washable, minimum-iron fabrics with many featuring tough Teflon coating.’
- ‘Polytetrafluoroethylene is the basis of the non-stick coating Teflon, as well as the breathable waterproof fabric Goretex.’
- ‘Both feature 10-ounce cotton canvas with a water-repellant Teflon coating and 100 percent polyester blaze overlay.’
- ‘The Teflon coats the threads but doesn't block the pores or gaps between threads.’
- ‘Modern aluminium pans have a non-stick interior coating of Teflon or some tougher composite material.’
- 1.1as modifier Denoting someone whose reputation remains undamaged in spite of scandal or misjudgement.‘acquittal earned him the nickname ‘the Teflon Don’’
- ‘His father was known as ‘The Teflon Don’ because he escaped conviction for so long.’
- ‘He was rightly known as the Teflon president: because he made people feel good, they willingly ignored the scandals of his administration.’
- ‘He's a Teflon man but then nobody ever said Teflon men didn't get the job done.’
- ‘Indeed, if not quite Teflon, McGreggor certainly seems to be made out of something strong and non-stick.’
- ‘In local circles, he has acquired the monicker ‘Teflon King’ because no case can be made to stick against him and that he seemed "untouchable."’
- ‘As a pitching coach, though, he is the sacred cow of the Yankees organization, the Teflon man to whom no failure sticks.’
- ‘He was the man of steel, Teflon man, untouchable and unbeatable.’
- ‘Since then, however, he has become increasingly embroiled in a series of predicaments that have eroded his authority, his Teflon image and, most importantly, his reputation as a winner.’
1940s: from tetra- ‘four’ + fluoro- + -on on the pattern of words such as nylon and rayon.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.