One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A cylindrical cake with a spiral cross section, made from a flat sponge cake spread with a filling such as jam and rolled up.
- ‘Roll up the pastry like a Swiss roll, starting from one long side.’
- ‘The fresh cream pastries include orange and Cointreau pastry, white forest Swiss roll, lemon meringue roulade, tiramisu and coconut mousse cake.’
- ‘In a large trifle bowl or individual glasses, place one layer of Swiss roll, sprinkle on rum, spoon custard on top, layer with fruits; repeat until all Swiss roll is used and the last layer is custard and fruit.’
- ‘Next month's meeting will be held on Tuesday night, June 4 and the competition is for the best homebaked jam-filled Swiss roll.’
- ‘Brush the gaps with beaten egg. Starting with one of these edges, roll up tightly like a Swiss roll.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.