One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A penknife incorporating several blades and other tools such as scissors and screwdrivers.
- ‘The carabinieri accused him of stabbing a police officer when they found a Swiss army knife in his pocket.’
- ‘What does it matter that a thug with a Swiss army knife can be inside in a matter of seconds?’
- ‘His locksmith set came out of one of his jacket pockets and unfolded like a Swiss army knife.’
- ‘Nervously, he reached into his pocket and pulled out his Swiss army knife and opened the blade.’
- ‘The most common items purchased are less exotic, and less expensive - Swiss army knives and regular household cutlery.’
- ‘You'll need to scrape out his hooves twice a day, and not with that tool on a Swiss army knife if you're fond of your fingertips.’
- ‘At a search of his home address detectives recovered a red Swiss army knife, which was similar to the knife used in the attack.’
- ‘I've been lucky, this weekend, to experience true technological finesse of the Swiss army knife.’
- ‘I also said that I was tempted to cut the lone orange ribbon in my neighbourhood with my Swiss army knife, but held back.’
- ‘And in both airports, the Swiss army knife on my key chain in my purse went through without a murmur.’
- ‘I've had one letter opener seized, two Swiss army knives.’
- ‘Danko pulled a Swiss army knife from his pocket and opened a small pair of wire cutters.’
- ‘My hand gripped tightly onto the Swiss army knife in my pocket as I made my way through the trees.’
- ‘He packed up a small backpack with a few changes of clothes, a book, and his Swiss army knife.’
- ‘I get out a Swiss army knife that has a bit of an edge.’
- ‘There are plenty of other souvenirs too, including top-quality chocolate, cheese and Swiss army knives.’
- ‘Pulling out her Swiss army knife, she flicked out one of the blades and slashed one open.’
- ‘Craft scissors, surgical scissors, sewing scissors, corkscrews, Swiss army knives and bottle openers, all available at unbeatable prices!’
- ‘There's something very inherently geekishly attractive about slick, multifunctional devices like Swiss army knives and the giant coffee machine.’
- ‘I had one relapse two years ago, when I cut myself with a Swiss army knife after an argument with a friend.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.