Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1another term for Sprechgesang
- ‘He is use of Sprechstimme was strongly influenced by the cabaret style.’
- ‘The vocal writing ranges between straightforward singing, Sprechstimme, and speech, depending on the dramatic role that the music must play.’
- ‘Carefully wrought dissonances, angular folk tunes, sudden shifts in dynamics, dense layers of spectral drones, slabs of noise, topped off with Dagmar's strange, elastic Sprechstimme; these are the tools of the Bears' trade.’
- ‘He sings mostly in bellows and muffled Sprechstimme.’
- 1.1The kind of voice used in Sprechgesang.
German, literally speech voice.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.