Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A procedure for identifying specific sequences of DNA, in which fragments separated on a gel are transferred directly to a second medium on which assay by hybridization may be carried out.
- ‘Standard techniques were used for DNA cloning, restriction enzyme digestion, Southern blot analysis, and DNA sequencing.’
- ‘The assay is similar to the Southern blot except that restriction enzyme digestion and denaturation of the mRNA are not needed.’
- ‘Columns of horizontal ovals and rectangles indicate lack of hybridization on the Southern blots.’
- ‘Standard molecular biological procedures, such as Southern blots, were performed as described.’
- ‘In Southern blots, DNA is cut with restriction enzymes then separated.’
Late 20th century: named after Edwin M. Southern (born 1938), British biochemist.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.