One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A sheep of a breed raised especially for mutton, originally on the South Downs of Hampshire and Sussex.
- ‘The Norfolk Horn was used along with Southdowns in the development of the Suffolk breed of sheep.’
- ‘Her heart lies with these older breeds, especially the Southdown.’
- ‘From the 19th century onwards, it was not uncommon to see flocks of a thousand Southdowns on the large estates in the south.’
- ‘I think the Southdown has rather an endearing appearance owing to its puffy woolly cheeks and teddy bear look.’
- ‘Mrs Beeton considered that Southdowns had a better flavour, and noted that, for these, demand exceeded supply.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.