One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A member of an international association of clubs for professional and business women founded in California in 1921.
- ‘The fundamental aim of Soroptimists is to perform charitable work for the good of their community.’
- ‘The Soroptimists are an international group and service organisation which serves communities.’
- ‘All proceeds from the event will go towards local charities and the Soroptimists have appealed for support for this event.’
- ‘The Soroptimists said members and local businesses had contributed generously to the shoebox campaign, enabling them to also provide filled wash bags for a local women's refuge.’
- ‘She was deeply involved in the cultural and sporting life of the town and was very active in the Soroptimists' club and in the local branch of the National Council for the Blind.’
1920s: from Latin soror ‘sister’ + optimist (see optimism).
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.