One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Relating to or denoting an Upper Palaeolithic culture of central and south-western France and parts of Iberia. It is dated to about 21,000–18,000 years ago, following the Aurignacian and preceding the Magdalenian.
- ‘Some scientists believe that the Solutrean peoples were responsible for much of the cave art in Europe.’
- ‘This Solutrean biface was found during excavation in the early 1900's in a rock shelter called Le Ruth.’
- ‘This Clovis spear shaft wrench was made first by the Solutrean people - found in France and Spain.’
- ‘Only Solutrean spear points from Spain and France had the same precise design of the American Clovis points.’
- ‘To Bradley, ‘there had to be some sort of historic connection’ between the Solutrean and Clovis peoples.’
- 1.1as noun the Solutrean The Solutrean culture or period.
Late 19th century: from Solutré, the site of a cave in eastern France, where objects from this culture were found, + -an.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.