Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Relating to or denoting an Upper Palaeolithic culture of central and SW France and parts of Iberia. It is dated to about 21,000–18,000 years ago, following the Aurignacian and preceding the Magdalenian.
- ‘This Clovis spear shaft wrench was made first by the Solutrean people - found in France and Spain.’
- ‘This Solutrean biface was found during excavation in the early 1900's in a rock shelter called Le Ruth.’
- ‘Only Solutrean spear points from Spain and France had the same precise design of the American Clovis points.’
- ‘Some scientists believe that the Solutrean peoples were responsible for much of the cave art in Europe.’
- ‘To Bradley, ‘there had to be some sort of historic connection’ between the Solutrean and Clovis peoples.’
- 1.1The Solutrean culture or period.
Late 19th century: from Solutré, the site of a cave in eastern France, where objects from this culture were found, + -an.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.