One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A figure like the Star of David.
- ‘Morocco's flag consists of a red field with a green five-pointed star - known as Solomon's seal - in its center.’
- ‘When the French took control in 1912, a five-pointed linear known as Solomon's seal was placed on the flag in order to distinguish the nation's flag from others.’
2A widely distributed plant of the lily family, having arching stems that bear a double row of broad leaves with drooping green and white flowers in their axils.
Genus Polygonatum, family Liliaceae: many species
- ‘A few spring wildflowers persist, such as doll's eyes, Solomon's seal, and false Solomon's seal.’
- ‘The wildflowers, many of which bloom in May, include waterleaf, wild ginger, red trillium, Jack-in-the-pulpit, smooth and woolly blue violet, Solomon's seal, false Solomon's seal, and enchanter's nightshade.’
- ‘A few members, such as Asparagus and Solomon's seal, have leaves attached along the stem.’
- ‘The forest has not been cut for 300 years, and I found myself surrounded by ground flora such as Solomon's seal, lily of the valley, yellow wood anemone, toothwort, asarabacca, herb paris and hepatica.’
- ‘‘Companion’ plants that indicate a good site include Jack-in-the-pulpit, bloodroot, Solomon's seal, jewel weed, galax, trillium, wild yam, hepatica, black cohosh, and wild ginger.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.