Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A fast-growing North American spruce tree, widely cultivated for its strong lightweight timber.
- ‘When the explorers reached the Northern Rockies and the Pacific Northwest, they found alien forests of Sitka spruce, Douglas fir, and other conifers instead of the familiar broadleaf woods of the East.’
- ‘Forests of mostly Sitka and Norway spruce are felled.’
- ‘The Sitka spruce were thriving in the wet climates, many of their branches twisted making the forest mysterious and eerie.’
- ‘It can take a crop of Sitka spruce approximately 35 years to reach maturity.’
- ‘Ancient giants - Douglas fir, Sitka spruce, red and yellow western cedar - took root long before Columbus arrived in North America and tower a hundred metres skyward.’
- ‘The forests of the Pacific Northwest and northern California are known for giant ancient trees such as Sitka spruce and sequoia (redwoods).’
- ‘With towering Sitka spruce surrounding us and a soft rain beginning to fall, we unloaded our gear bags.’
- ‘Closer to the sea, where the terrain is smoother, forests of Sitka spruce and western hemlock have developed.’
- ‘The plantation consists of Norway and Sitka spruce and felling is due to begin in 2 years time.’
- ‘The Octopus Tree, an ancient Sitka spruce with massive branches that rise up around a low central trunk like the arms of a candelabra, is a five-minute walk from the parking lot.’
- ‘While Sitka spruce can withstand the ravages inflicted by deer, other species are not so hardy.’
- ‘The spokesman said that the relative dominance of the Sitka spruce will decrease as other species are planted.’
Late 19th century: named after Sitka, a town in Alaska.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.