Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A black or white bobbin lace made from Shetland wool.
openwork, lacework, tatting, netting, net, tulle, meshwork, mesh, webbingView synonyms
- ‘To this end there will be demonstrations of a diverse collection of crafts from the spinning and knitting of Shetland lace to the art of making golf balls - a tradition that's alive, well and located, not surprisingly, in St Andrews.’
- ‘Sometime in early 1998, they decided to each knit a Shetland lace shawl.’
- ‘Fine, delicate Shetland lace was popular with the Victorians.’
- ‘An exciting thing about knitting Shetland lace is that it gets me back to my roots, on the harsh coasts of Scotland and Norway.’
- ‘After you're done drooling over the gorgeous Shetland lace on the top part of the article, scroll to the bottom to see the Hap shawl.’
- ‘Laura asks if I will post pictures of the Shetland lace shawl, and I most likely will, but I should mention that it isn't an elaborate laceweight confection.’
- ‘These women are carding, spinning and knitting gossamer yarn used in very fine Shetland lace knitting.’
- ‘This Faroese style shawl in garter stitch lace knitting incorporates traditional Shetland lace patterns of beads, diamonds and Madeira fans.’
- ‘When not knitting Shetland lace, I like to knit colorful blankets, inspired by the colors of the flowers I grow.’
- ‘In the 1800's, Shetland lace patterns were handed down verbally from mother to daughter.’
- ‘This is a big project, and I hope to learn more about Shetland lace shawl construction along the way.’
- ‘And then come the patterns: 120 pages of traditional Shetland lace motifs, clearly photographed, charted and explained.’
- 1.1 Knitwear made using openwork stitches to give a lacy effect.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.