One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The discourse of Christ recorded in Matt. 5–7, including the Beatitudes and the Lord's Prayer.
- ‘Critics of traditional Catholic teaching on war and capital punishment frequently claim that it doesn't take seriously enough the radical demands of the Sermon on the Mount.’
- ‘This call to perfection is at the heart of the Sermon on the Mount.’
- ‘This section of the Sermon on the Mount contains a systematic look at four specific faith practices.’
- ‘I take another of His statements from the Sermon on the Mount.’
- ‘It is unlikely this is a verbatim report of Jesus' words, but John has shaped them here in the same way that Matthew styled the Sermon on the Mount.’
- ‘Jesus warned about false conversions in the Sermon on the Mount and elsewhere.’
- ‘It simply goes through the Beatitudes in the Sermon on the Mount, explains the essence of each one, and appends a simple prayer for each, asking God to help us cultivate that particular trait of godliness.’
- ‘Pursuits in the interests of avarice, accumulation, and power are not consistent with the teachings of Christ - Hence the quote from the Sermon on the Mount.’
- ‘He drew from the Sermon on the Mount, and ended with the Peace Prayer of St. Francis Assissi.’
- ‘He spoke many languages, could read Hebrew, and quoted as easily from St. Athanasius as from the Sermon on the Mount.’
- ‘Jesus not only taught the Sermon on the Mount; he embodied the Sermon on the Mount.’
- ‘Many other books, including works on Genesis and Exodus, The Sermon on the Mount and a massive work on Hebrews, show something of his ability and authority as a teacher of the Word of God.’
- ‘Yet we must do more than this, we must plan wisely for the future, this doesn't mean that we should ignore the advice of Jesus in the Sermon on the Mount…’
- ‘And then we have the first of five teaching blocks in this Gospel - the Sermon on the Mount.’
- ‘Should certain passages, such as the Sermon on the Mount, be given special authority?’
- ‘It was with them that he read the Bhagavad-gita for the first time, as well as Sir Edwin Arnold's The Light of Asia (on the Buddha) and the New Testament, most notably the Sermon on the Mount.’
- ‘In the Sermon on the Mount Jesus speaks of those who pray, thinking they will be heard because of their many words.’
- ‘The standard practice is to refer to the Sermon on the Mount as a beautifully idealistic morality that might inspire individuals, but is totally irrelevant for governmental activity.’
- ‘So, for instance, in the gospel of Matthew, we find a series of short vignettes after the Sermon on the Mount which show Jesus healing various people.’
- ‘Jesus ended his Sermon on the Mount by exhorting his listeners to choose wisely as they sought the proper foundation for building their lives.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.