Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A member of an American Indian people that was one of the five nations comprising the original Iroquois confederacy.
- ‘Tribal affiliation did not affect clan membership; for example, all Wolf clan members were considered to be blood relatives, regardless of whether they were members of the Mohawk, Seneca, or other Iroquois tribes.’
- ‘The case dragged on, and only in 1857 did Congress appropriate funds for the Seneca to buy back their land from Ogden.’
- ‘Tales of the Lakota, the Cherokee, the Inuit and the Seneca, all laid out right at the foot of the Capitol.’
- ‘Cusick's text implicitly adopts or could be used to support the anti-removal position of the Seneca and other Iroquois nations.’
- ‘French sources do mention Ohioan Senecas, but the company consisted mainly of Indians long allied with France.’
2mass noun The Iroquoian language of the Seneca, now with few speakers.
- ‘Father also spoke Seneca and Cayuga, but he preferred Onondaga, the language of his father and of our longhouse.’
- ‘The Cherokee language belongs to the Iroquoian family of languages and is therefore related to Mohawk, Seneca, Onondaga, Oneida, Cayuga, and Tuscarora, among others.’
- ‘Mrs Asher Wright, who spoke Seneca perfectly, and who labored as a missionary among them for fifty years, recorded two Seneca myths as they had been related to her by Esquire Johnson, an old Seneca chief.’
Relating to the Seneca or their language.
- ‘The Oneida language belongs to the Iroquoian language family, which also includes the Mohawk, Onondaga, Cayuga, and Seneca tongues.’
- ‘A respected Seneca warrior named Gaiantwaka, known as The Cornplanter, helped bring about this change, as did his half brother, Ganiodayo.’
- ‘While the relationship has been strained at times, the treaty remains unbroken and in effect and was used as recently as 1995 by a federal judge to uphold the sovereignty of the Seneca nation.’
- ‘The treaty established the sovereign relationship between the federal government and the Oneida, Onondaga, Cayuga, and Seneca nations.’
- ‘During the latter conflict, the Seneca supported the British and in 1779, a punitive expedition under Colonel Brodhead was dispatched to the Seneca villages on the upper Allegheny River.’
Via Dutch from Algonquian.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.