One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A very pliable, odourless plastic explosive.
- ‘The grenade launcher, for instance, transformed the striking power of small fighting groups; plastic explosives like Semtex were a similar boon.’
- ‘Three minutes later, a machine that detects trace explosives showed a positive reading for Semtex, a volatile plastic explosive.’
- ‘Ms Murphy is still haunted by the memory of how Hindawi tried to send her to her death by packing her hand luggage with Semtex plastic explosives.’
- ‘Three minutes later, the screener noticed that the explosive trace detection machine indicated a positive alert for Semtex, a plastic explosive, from the laptop.’
- ‘Imagine that a private company had developed an explosive ten times more powerful than Semtex.’
1980s: probably a blend of Semtin (the name of a village in the Czech Republic near the place of production) and explosive.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.