Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A member of any of the peoples who speak or spoke a Semitic language, including in particular the Jews and Arabs.
- ‘Paradoxically, they accuse Arabs who are Semites themselves, of anti-Semitism.’
- ‘After the Bronze Age, Amorites, Western Semites, Hyksos and Hittites successively invaded the area.’
- ‘Christianity had seemed to me the first creed to proclaim love in this upper world, from which the desert and the Semite (from Moses to Zeno) had shut it out: and Christianity was a hybrid, except in its first root not essentially Semite.’
- ‘They say that Arabs are Semites, and therefore should come into the purview of those scholars who look at anti-Semitism.’
- ‘The people of Palestine are pure Arabs and original Semites.’
- ‘Tradition associated her with Cyprus, where Greeks and Semites lived side by side from an early date, and the name Aphrodite is probably a Greek corruption of the Phoenician form of lshtar, Astarte (the Biblical Ashtaroth).’
- ‘In his Lectures on the Religion of the Semites, W. Robertson Smith proposed that totemism was the basic form of sacrifice, in which the clan shed the blood of its totem animal, then consumed it in a communal meal.’
- ‘The third column is the representation of the ages as decimal-counting Semites would have written them using the early rounded stylus.’
- ‘Of special interest to Bible students is one panel in the second row in which a bearded Semite bows before the king while his servants present gifts.’
- ‘And those of us who originally came from the region of the Holy Land, we're all Semites together.’
- ‘He was a Middle Easterner, you know, and he was a Semite.’
- ‘The Semites were the first to inhabit the region in 3500 B.C.’
- ‘Political unification did not come until about 2370 BC with the conquest by the Semites of Akkad.’
- ‘For many centuries, Jewish and Arab Semites lived cheek by jowl in relative harmony.’
- ‘Within the gaunt pinnacles, in colours that represent ores and igneous rock, Ancient Egyptians, Semites and Nabataeans have left evidence of passage.’
- ‘Ham represents Canaan and Shem (anticipating Israel) represents the Semites.’
- ‘In this case, one should work out what ‘heart’ meant to ancient Semites, not what it means in Hollywood pop-psychology.’
From modern Latin Semita, via late Latin from Greek Sēm Shem, son of Noah in the Bible, from whom these peoples were traditionally supposed to be descended.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.