Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A small terrier of a rough-haired short-legged breed.
- ‘The most memorable campaign remarks of 1944 were FDR's mocking defense of Fala, his Scottish terrier, against the charge that he sent a destroyer to fetch the pooch from Alaska.’
- ‘The informality of the evening was reflected in the presence of Barney, the president's black Scottish terrier.’
- ‘Some passers-by said they had seen a Scottish terrier earlier but didn't know where she had gone.’
- ‘Our mascot is a Scottish terrier known as McFog the Dog - very clever indeed.’
- ‘Miss Beazley, an 11-week-old Scottish terrier, now has the run of the White House along with her older brother, Barney.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.