One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A member of a group of mainly nomadic peoples of northern Siberia, who traditionally live as reindeer herders.
- ‘Thousands of years ago the ancestors of both the present Finno-Ugrians and the Samoyeds lived together in their Uralic homeland.’
- ‘One myth - again judging from such peoples as the Samoyeds and Buryats - would seem to have been an earth-diver creation in which an animal is sent by the creator to find an earthly substance in the depths of the primal waters.’
- ‘The Samoyed is Spitz-type which takes its name from the Siberian tribe of the Samoyeds.’
2mass noun Any of several Samoyedic (Uralic) languages of the Samoyeds.
- ‘One tribe, the Kamasin, spoke Samoyed until the middle of the last century.’
- 2.1as modifier ‘Nenets is the most widely spoken of the Samoyed languages’another term for Samoyedic
- ‘The north European tundra is populated by several related peoples speaking Samoyedic languages.’
- ‘The Finno-Ugric and Samoyed languages split more than 6,000 years ago.’
3A dog of a white Arctic breed.
- ‘They said she was part Samoyed, but I couldn't see it.’
- ‘There are five types of dog taking part: Siberian Huskies, Alaskan Malamutes, Samoyeds and Greenland Dogs and Canadian Eskimo Dogs.’
- ‘Stefanie, nine, and her brother Alex, seven, spent all morning getting Rosie, a stunning white-haired Samoyed, ready for the prettiest class.’
- ‘Meanwhile, Nigel's other pets, Little Joe, a nine-year-old Samoyed dog and Marley, a 13-year-old cat, are pining for their friend.’
- ‘These early northern dogs included hunters and herders like the Samoyed and the Norwegian elkhound, and smaller companion dogs that served as guardians of home and hearth, sounding the alarm when danger approached.’
- ‘More specifically again, there are three types: Siberian huskies, Alaskan malamute and Russian Samoyed.’
- ‘Reindeer usually pulled the sleds these nomadic people constantly employed in search of the scarce lichen and moss that fed the animals, but Samoyeds were also used in this capacity on occasion.’
- ‘The Samoyed is a snow dog and loves the outdoors.’
- ‘And though her 13-year-old Samoyed does frequent the office, this clutter is actually part of her charitable giving program.’
- ‘To top this off we had delicious pies and smoothies halfway along and were greeted by my favourite dog, the Samoyed, which I got to stroke.’
- ‘Jill, of Edgware, Middlesex, whose white Samoyed called Bella died of MRSA last year, has launched a campaign to stop other pets contracting the bug.’
- ‘Candidates include the Ibizan Hound, Pharoah Hound, Samoyed, Saluki, and Maltese.’
- ‘For a white dog, the Samoyed stays amazingly clean, but an occasional bath is necessary.’
- ‘And as for the dogs, three different breeds compete in Scotland, and were in evidence at Aviemore: Siberian huskies, the lean sprinters; Samoyeds, large, white and fluffy; and Malamutes, the heavier freight dogs.’
- ‘It came from the west, and the sled carried a bulky man, 18 Samoyeds, and a large parcel of whale oil and furs.’
- ‘Clipping a Samoyed can cost £32 because of the thick, double coat.’
From Russian samoed.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.