One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A chocolate gateau with apricot jam filling and chocolate icing.
- ‘Most of the other desserts were chocolaty things - chocolate mousse, chocolate cake, Sachertorte.’
- ‘The menu for the evening was incredible: champagne, caviar, smoked salmon, pate, Wiener schnitzel and of course, Sachertorte.’
- ‘Vienna - the city of dreams, waltzes, Sachertorte, gemuetlichkeit, and romance - is centre stage this week as Teatro La Quindicina unveils its first production of 2004, The Vile Governess and Other Psychodramas.’
- ‘Take a rest in one of the typical Viennese Coffee houses and treat yourself to delicious Sachertorte topped with whipped cream.’
- ‘Or make afternoon tea fashionable again with a tray of colourful fruit sablés, raspberry and almond brandy snaps, or dreamily rich Sachertorte.’
German, from the name of Franz Sacher, the pastry chef who created it, + Torte ‘tart, pastry’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.