One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A house of a US federal or state legislature responsible for expediting the passage of bills.
- ‘Dreier is the Chairman of the powerful Rules Committee of the House of Representatives.’
- ‘Bills concerning revenue and which have received a favourable report from the House Ways and Means Committee bypass the Rules Committee and go straight to the full House.’
- ‘The ranking Democrat on the Transportation Committee came before our Rules Committee and he talked about the fact that he has changed his view.’
- ‘The Florida Republican has been appointed to the Rules Committee, which helps schedule bills for the House to consider.’
- ‘An additional loophole allows the Rules Committee to set standards for release of receipts.’
- ‘He's chairman of the powerful Rules Committee.’
- ‘As it went through the Rules Committee, the proposed bill has had its language changed from ‘cause serious harm to self or others’ to ‘engage in dangerous conduct.’’
- ‘If a committee reports a bill that the majority leadership opposes, central leaders may even persuade the Rules Committee to deny a rule altogether.’
- ‘After passage, bills go to the Rules Committee, where committee members determine whether to place the bill on the calendar to be heard before the entire House.’
- ‘‘Our Rules Committee is currently engaged in rewriting the constitution, and our national executive is proposing to broaden membership and revoke this rule,’ he said.’
- ‘Frost, 62, is the senior Democrat on the Rules Committee (and in line to be chairman if his party regained a House majority).’
- ‘The rules are made by the Lord Chancellor, after consultation with the Rules Committee, the composition of which is set out in Section 413.’
- ‘It will be sent to the Rules Committee for further consideration in next legislative session.’
- ‘‘I wish to thank and compliment the Rules Committee and Mr. Justice Peter Kelly for their hard work on this initiative to bring about major legal reform,’ he added.’
- ‘These events failed to inspire the House of Representatives; therefore, the Civil Rights Bill continued to languish in the Rules Committee.’
- ‘Among other findings was that the Homeland Security Committee has very strong ties to the Rules Committee.’
- ‘He's a member of the House Homeland Security Committee and chairman of the Rules Committee.’
- ‘Also in Washington is Congressman David Dryer, chairman of the Rules Committee, member of the House Republican leadership, Republican of California.’
- ‘At a Rules Committee meeting last Friday, it was agreed unanimously, with all parties present, that the opposition, as a collective, should choose two candidates.’
- ‘Historically, bills have been given a three-day delay in between the time the Rules Committee reports them out and the House takes them up; that requirement has been waived on numerous occasions in recent years.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.