One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The day on which the foundation of a republic is commemorated, in particular (in India) 26 January.
- ‘The sheer popularity of Republic Day has escalated over the years, with a new theme embraced each time.’
- ‘They live in their own ghetto outside Tel Aviv, speak Turkish, celebrate Turkey's Republic Day, and often travel back.’
- ‘Locals find air and space in the broad expanses and enjoy the spectacular parades and flypasts of Republic Day and other national celebrations.’
- ‘He was one of a trio who started the Republic Day back in 1989.’
- ‘Ghanaians celebrate Independence Day on March 6 and Republic Day on July 1.’
- ‘However, ‘Mashramani’ is celebrated to mark the country's Republic Day on 23 February, and the anniversary of the Berbice Slave Rebellion of 1763 is also noted.’
- ‘On Republic Day, the president reports to the nation, and there is marching in the streets.’
- ‘It is now nearly two weeks since the Republic Day earthquake.’
- ‘Other national holidays include Oil Nationalization Day, Islamic Republic Day, and Revolution Day.’
- ‘In addition to universal celebrations like International New Year's Day, Asian Indians celebrate India's day of independence from the British on August 15 and Republic Day on January 26.’
- ‘The books were released in Colombo on Republic Day this year.’
- ‘The King's Way on which once the Viceroys used to come out in his ceremonial carriage driven by twelve beautiful horses, now hosts the Republic Day parade.’
- ‘This is probably due to the fact that the defacers try to coincide the defacements with Indian Republic Day and Independence Day.’
- ‘People are complaining that it was slow, and he said part of the problem was that the earthquake struck on Republic Day, a national holiday in India.’
- ‘The three major national holidays are Independence Day, 6 July; Republic Day, 6 July; and Constitution Day, 18 May.’
- ‘Barring a minor error where he confuses Republic Day with Independence Day, Mills' book is vastly useful in learning tiger facts.’
- ‘Proclamation of the Republic Day on October 23 commemorates the 1956 uprising against the Communist regime.’
- ‘Both Victory Day and Republic Day are celebrated with patriotic parades, music, and speeches.’
- ‘These include Republic Day, May 31, honoring the date in 1961 that South Africa became a republic; Kruger Day, October 10, honoring the birth of Stephanus Johannus Paulus Kruger, an early Afrikaner political leader.’
- ‘Often when Republic Day or Independence Day approaches one's mind goes back to those who closely associated themselves with the nation and its cause.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.