One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1(in the Bible) a member of an Israelite family, descended from Rechab, who refused to drink wine or live in houses (Jer. 35).
- ‘‘Go to the clan of the Rechabites and speak to them.’’
- 1.1 A member of the Independent Order of Rechabites, a benefit society of teetotallers, founded in 1835.
- ‘Development of a different nature was the establishment in July 1869 of the Blinman Lodge of the Ancient Order of Forresters with eleven members, followed in November by the Independent Order of Rechabites.’
- ‘The main societies in Australia included the Australian Natives Association, Buffaloes, Druids, Foresters, Free Gardeners, Freemasons, Hibernians, Oddfellows, Protestant Alliance, Rechabites, and Sons of Temperance.’
- ‘Between his blacksmithing and mining interest Peter Doig also found time to become a member of the Independent Order of Rechabites and preside over many of its later meetings at the ‘Star of the North’.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.